I had every intention of posting a new blog sooner, life just seems to get in the way. I've been busy closing down the daylily nursery, moving daylilies and now getting the farm ready for winter.
Let's start with some silly animal pictures first:
My very silly Lily, not sure why this is a comfortable sleeping spot for her!
Next up is Cosmo, looking all sleek in his gorgeous short summer coat. They almost shine in the sun when they have finally shed off all the winter hair.
And Merlin in his summer coat. Notice the ridge of long hair along his belly, it's so cute. His Dad Cosmo has a white spot on his side, Merlin doesn't ... and when they are close to each other, Merlin is much smaller.
And Rocky relaxing in the shade while I work in the sun. What a life!
I didn't take a picture of Sambina for some reason ... sometimes she walks away from me when I pull out the camera.
I've heard lots of people talk about downsizing their daylilies and gardens, but most don't really do it. I decided in March that I needed to make life easier, so the first thing to do was to close down my daylily nursery. That was a huge amount of work! I started the year with over 400 named daylily varieties and hundreds of seedlings I had created.
I sold tons of daylilies and seedlings at very reasonable prices. I donated tons of clumps of older spider daylilies to the local Master Gardeners for use in the community gardens they support. And I donated tons more to Buffalo Grassroots Gardens, an organization that supports inner-city community gardens. Finally, I donated tons to my daylily clubs' sale.
I have only my "keepers" left and a few hundred seedlings, many hundreds less than I started the year with. Turns out I ended up keeping 67 named varieties.
This is a picture of the front sale gardens with only my "keeper" daylilies left. These were then all dug and planted in the gardens behind the house or in front of the barn.
This barn garden bed originally had huge clumps of old spider type daylilies. Those were all donated. Now to clear the weeds and build up the soil.
A neighbor down the road wanted some of the timbers from my raised beds, that I no longer needed. And he volunteered to consolidate my manure pile and move some of the timbers for me. While he was consolidating the manure pile, I had him fill the barn bed with good composted donkey manure. (Lily's coat is growing back in)
Another shot ....
The barn bed all weeded and filled, waiting for daylilies.
These are the beds he moved for me. Next Spring I'll move them between the barn and the shed and replant some of my seedlings in them. For now I needed to keep that space open so the Hosta group can come and move their hoop house to another location.
Clumps waiting to be planted.
More clumps waiting. I had my list and tried to be very careful about planting tall ones in back and to make sure I didn't have any of the same colors next to each other.
We'll see next summer how well I planned! Here it is all planted. I also moved in some phlox.
I was very glad when this job was all done!
Now for some fall garden shots. These are fall flowering crocuses, or Colchicum.
Back garden shot with the Castor Bean in the forefront.
Frogs on waterlilies:
And my hydrangea, Pink Diamond. The color this year was amazing.
I guess I'll stop here. I was planning on adding a few pictures of some of my daylily seedlings, but will wait and do an entire post of those.
Until next time ....