Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Last Blog post for 2013

I thought I'd post one last Blog for 2013 ... I tried to do at least 2 posts a month in 2013, but see that this is my 20th blog post, so I fell short of my goal.  It's very difficult to keep up with this blog during gardening season, but I'll try to make a point of it in 2014.

I spent the past week going through my daylily inventory, updating my price list for 2014, redoing my website (www.mysticmeadowsdaylily.com) and sorting through all the daylily photographs I took in 2013.

I have also been looking for 2014 calendars, and had looked at some that were created by daylily enthusiasts, but wasn't really taken with them.  My favorite daylily form is the Unusual Form daylily, then spiders, then other odd shapes, and last of all round bagel daylilies.  I do have plenty of round bagel daylilies that I like, but they aren't my favorite form.  So I decided to create my own calendar at CafePress.  I actually made 2 calendars, one completely of daylily pictures I took and one that has farm and pet pictures mixed in too.

So I'm sharing with you the flower pictures I considered and may have used in my calendars.  I don't have the calendars yet, so I don't remember exactly which ones I used.

These first 2 pictures are not daylilies, they are real lily's ... Lilium.  I get frustrated when people call daylilies lilies, because they aren't.  Daylilies are Hemerocallis and Lilies are Liliums.  Two completely different plant families.  So please, call daylilies what they are, daylilies.

Lilium:


And Daylilies:  I tried to find pictures that I found visually pleasing ... the flower and the background together were pleasing.

This first one is Tennessee Tan with a Hummingbird Moth. 

 
This is Blazing Lampsticks - I am really drawn to hot orange flowers.
 

Brooklyn Twist - I lost this daylily a couple of years ago and bought it again because I liked it so much.


Free Wheelin - this is a huge flower and always looks perfect.  It just won the AHS Award for 2013 Early Season Bloom.


For Algernon - one of my friend Linda Michaels daylilies ... it always looks good.


Do the Twist -  I really do love the way it twists!  And the pink looks great against the old grey barn wood.


Cowboy Scarf - this poor daylily has been moved numerous times in my garden.  This past year I moved it out front where it will hopefully do well in full sun. 


Garden Elf - this is a small 3.5 inch daylily, I just loved this close-up of the 2 flowers.


Jersey Spider - an oldie but goody ... and a wonderful color!


Joan Senior - my favorite white daylily.


Jocelyn's Oddity - see, I love some really strange shaped daylilies.  I used the pollen from this last summer and hope to make more odd shaped daylilies!

 
  Medicine Feather - just a lovely shape.


My own Mystic Flare - obviously a tall daylily, I love the blue sky in the background.


North Wind Dancer - it truly looks like it's dancing.  Just a perfect shape.


Starman's Quest among the hosta and Japanese grass ... the combination of plants and textures really caught my eye.


Raspberry Butterflies - one of the daylilies that I have used a lot in my hybridizing.


Patricia Snider Memorial - this daylily just performs so much better than I ever thought it would.  The color and form are just great.


Open Hearth - another oldie but goody ....


Tennessee Flycatcher - another great shape and love the annual poppies in the background.

Zoot Sims - another great orange daylily with a great shape.


Liquid Memory - another Linda Michaels daylily ... and another perfect form.
 
 
Hope you enjoyed my selected pictures.  I can't wait to see how the calendars turn out; one I take to work and the other will be in my bedroom.
 
Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable New Years Eve! See you all in 2014.
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you Pam....lovely photos & always enjoy your blogs....Lori;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori, Happy New Year to you too! I'm glad you enjoy my blog!

      Delete