Saturday, November 9, 2013

End of garden season & New Orleans

Today I finished cleaning up the gardens .... YEAH!  We've had multiple frosts, the trees are almost bare and I've even seen a few snowflakes.  The only outside chore I have left before winter is to wrap some trees and bushes in burlap to protect them from the deer.


I'm not one of those gardeners that mourns the end of the season, I am glad when it's over so I can move on to some other things I like to do inside.  For example, I just recently made lots of new earrings and necklaces .... this first picture is my dining room table converted into my craft table ....


A selection of new earrings ....


A necklace I made using some really cool handmade glass beads ... I bought these beads a few years ago and couldn't figure out what to do with them.  Their holes are very large so I needed something to hold them in place, and found I had what I needed to make a necklace.



This one has an interesting set of stones I bought as a set ... and then strung them with some silver accent beads.


A selection of some of the new earrings I made.  They all have surgical steel French wires and rubber wire bumpers on the back so you can't lose them.



Some of the new necklaces I put together.  I try to find interesting pieces to use.




Some more Fall color .. the last of it for this year.  The sun was setting and peeking through the trees.


I love the contrasts of the clouds and sun in this picture.  That's the dairy farm up the road from me.


This is a Mum that is the latest flower to bloom in my gardens.  I sold a bunch of it this past spring and I hope those that bought it are enjoying the late blooms.


This Larch is about the last of the color in my trees, though my ornamental pear is looking really nice today.  And I didn't take a picture of it!


I went to New Orleans this past week for a Reverse Mortgage conference.  This is the second time it was in New Orleans, and was a really good conference as usual.  The Reverse Mortgage industry is a small group as compared to the regular mortgage industry.  So we tend to be a close-knit group of people.  I've made some very close friends over the years, and really enjoy seeing them annually at these meetings.

The conference was held at The Roosevelt, a Waldof Astoria hotel and conference center, right in the French Quarter.  I took these pics of the hotel for my sister Sandy, she's an interior designer.




I arrived early on Sunday, the conference started Monday morning, and my friend Steve and I decided to visit one of the cemeteries.  We asked the concierge for directions and were told that we were too late, that the cemeteries were closed for the day.  We decided to head out anyways and see if we could at least peek through the gates.

I don't know what this is, but thought it was really interesting.


Birds of Paradise are flowers I've only seen in floral bouquets ... this was so cool to see this huge clump growing in front of someone's house.


And I love how this palm tree is sprouting up out of the sidewalk!


So we arrived at the cemetery ... and could see some of the tombs over the fence ...


But we lucked out ... the gates were open!!  A woman that was walking around taking pictures told us that the cemetery is open later around All Saints Day (Nov. 1st) because many families come to the cemeteries to care for the family tombs/crypts.



Love the wrought iron fence!


Many different shapes and sizes.


We were told by the same woman, that there still is a Society for the Relief of Destitute Orphan Boys.


We saw many of these statues ... on the front it says "Erected by the Woodmen of the World".  I had to google it, and found out it was a "fraternal benefit society" ... to me that means it was one of those secret societies ...and is based out of Omaha, Nebraska.  It operates a "large privately held insurance company for it's members".   Here's the Wikipedia link, very interesting:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodmen_of_the_World


This one was definitely a little freaky ....


There also were a lot that looked like this ... I think these were probably cheaper to make than the smooth stucco ones.


A family crypt that covered many generations ...


We were trying to figure out the color on this one ... I was thinking that it was the mix that was turning it red and not deliberately colored red.


This one had obviously just been whitewashed and really stood out because it was so pristine.


And the only colored one we saw besides the red stained one ... maybe trying to really make it stand out?  (And another one of those Woodmen statues)


The cemetery was directly across the street from the Commander's Palace, where we had dinner.  I was told this was where Emeril Lagasse learned how to cook.  The food was excellent, I had a local fish that was pecan crusted ... it just melted in my mouth!


I'll finish this blog post with recent pictures of my furry friends ... they missed me while I was gone, but were well cared for by my friend Mary and my neighbor Ron.

Silly pooches on the couch:


And the donkeys enjoying the Fall weather ... they are also happy the hot humid days (and the flies) are gone!


Until next time (or next post) ......
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pam,
    The tree that you didn't know is a crepe myrtle and the tree coming up through the sidewalk is a Palmetto Palm tree. . These two trees are very plentiful down here in Lakeland FL. In fact I grow 4 crepe myrtles here in my yard. I have two lavender ones in the front yard and two red ones in the south side yard . I bought them at our local paper's annual sale for 3 dollars each. My winter time is spent knitting my Christmas gifts for my daughter-in-law and her son who are in Va with my youngest son. He is stationed there while he is in the Navy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia!! Glad you identified those for me, they are certainly different than anything that grows up here in the North. Glad to hear that you also enjoy a winter hobby. I'm sure your family loves there gifts made with love.

      Delete