Last week for 3 days, we had record high temperatures for September, you could cut the humidity with a knife. It was horrible ... then it cooled off, and we've had days in the 60's and nights in the 40's. Temps are supposed to get back up to the 70's this coming week, but I hope we've seen the end of the 90's for the year.
The cooler weather is great weather to work outside in, I got one of the seedling beds re-organized this weekend. I had already dug out the unselected seedlings, then I was able to finish harvesting seed pods, and yesterday I dug the remaining seedlings and moved them so they all have space to flourish. There are some promising seedlings in this bed.
My annual 5 cords of firewood arrived last weekend ... it's way too early and it's going to have to sit and wait until I finish what I need to do in the gardens. The time left to work in the gardens is coming to an end soon ... so my other projects are stacking up!
Here's the firewood pile, waiting to be stacked (where are the firewood stacking gnomes when you need them?):
Today I tackled the fireplace; emptied the ashes from last year, shined the surround, cleaned the black gunk off the glass and wiped down the tile.
Looks pretty good if I say so! I was thinking I might need to use it one of these cooler nights since I don't want to turn on the heat yet. So now it's all ready.
Another project that's waiting for me .... a new friend had these wonderful pieces on her fence in her garden. I saw her garden during the Buffalo Garden Walk and commented on these pieces. She told me she was moving into a loft apartment with no garden, and she'd save some of these for me. So last weekend I went and picked them up.
They are pieces to farm tractor attachments ... aren't they wonderful?
Some of them need to be repainted, any that have the dark purple will really need to be repainted since I'll be hanging these on the side of my dark purple barn, and the purple parts will just disappear if I don't paint them another color ... or maybe lilac?
I just think they are so fun! Thank you very much Laurie!!!
Here's the purple barn they will be going on, this is the end and they will be going on the side.
I took these pictures the other day, trying to capture the gorgeous color of the sky ....
And here are more pictures of the seed pods of the Castor Bean plants ... I find them fascinating!
The Fall blooming crocus (Colchicum) are putting on quite a show:
The cleome and phlox in the front gardens were pretty together:
I thought this was a piece of fuzz on the barn when I first looked at it, but then looked more closely and saw it was a really interesting moth.
On one of the Daylily Facebook pages, someone asked what daylilies people used in their hybridizing this year, which I thought it was an interesting question ... though then people went on to criticize other peoples responses ... it's amazing how so many people as such experts about everything! LOL!
But here are the three that I used the most this year as the pollen parent ... I really like "patterns" and hope to create more ..
This first one is Barcode (Stamile is the hybridizer), it is a TET and has a really nice pattern.
This one is Dragonfly in Flight (Bob Faulkner is the hybridizer), it's a DIP and also has a nice pattern.
This third one I seem to use every year, I really like the "kids" I get from it. It's Vertical Horizon, a Moldovan daylily. It's a TET, and I have some really great seedlings from it already.
The day is wasting away ... next on my to do list for today is to make a apple caramel pie. Something I've never done before ... I was inspired by a local cider mill that also sells pies ... but I was blown away by the $21.95 price tag on their pie. That's not a price I would ever pay ... so I'll make one myself! I'll let you know how it turns out.