Sunday, March 10, 2013

March in WNY ...

This weekend we all had a taste of Spring ... it was in the low 50's on Saturday and 65 today.  People were out and about in droves!  3 of my neighbors are making maple syrup, so they were very active this weekend because the warmth makes the sap flow faster.

Some signs of spring; winter aconites, snow drops and a witch hazel that smells like cinnamon.

 
 

A sure sign of Spring is when my pond opens ... it's coming soon!

 
 
It was a gorgeous weekend ... kind of bittersweet though, I've been so engaged with my quilt this winter, it will be sad to put it away for the year.  I've felt like the creative juices were flowing so well ... guess I'll just have to flow those same creative energies into my daylily hybridizing.  Unfortunately, the results don't show for 2 or 3 years. 
 
So here's my center piece of my quilt with 2 borders ... 
 
 
 
And here are some of the pieced block "flowers" I've been making ... I've been having lots of fun putting these "flowers" together ...
 

 
My daylily club, the Buffalo Area Daylily Society had a meeting this afternoon, and Dave Musar from Guelph in Canada showed us how he moved his garden from one house to another and his daylily introductions and seedlings.  His new house is a modular home, where they build the parts of the house in a factory and then put the sections together on the building site.  I've heard about these homes being in the mortgage business, and they are supposed to be some of the best made homes you can buy ... since they are built in a factory, they aren't put together out in the elements.  It was an excellent presentation!
 
 
Our president, Paula, was out of town so our VP was supposed to run the meeting.  Unfortunately, our VP (Anne Herman) had a family illness and was unable to attend, so our secretary Carol Haj stepped in and ran a very good meeting! 
 

 
She did a great job!  So I will be quickly working on my quilt for the next few weeks before I put it all away and start working outside.  The snow is melting, the days are getting longer and warmer ... Spring really is right around the corner!


No comments:

Post a Comment