Saturday, February 9, 2013

Winter Storm Nemo missed us!

Western NY got some snow from Nemo, but not too much ... we've certainly had much worse.  I live SE of the city of Buffalo, and though we are normally snow country, I got less than 3 inches from Nemo ... just made for some messy driving.

This morning while I was making coffee and doing dishes, I watched a pair of cardinals in the snow at the feeder ....



Very pretty birds!  And I also caught sight of a pileated woodpecker ... you need to look closely at the middle of the picture below to find it ...


I've started on another quilt ... a weekend winter craft project.  I showed the other quilt I made in a previous post.  That one took me 6 winters to finish piecing the top, and then another winter to have it hand-quilted by an Amish girl.

Hopefully, this one won't take as long!  But it makes more sense to me now ... though I still need to pay closer attention to cutting my pieces the same size. 

This one I am using this picture from a quilt magazine as the center of my quilt.  She doesn't really tell you how to make the Lemoyne Stars that make up the flowers, so after a frustrating day of putting together the first square and none of the points were sharp or correct, I turned to the internet and found really good instructions.


I ended up taking the first square apart completely and starting over.  Here's my dining room that I turn into my quilting area.


So here are the 2 squares which will end up as "Flowers" for the center of the quilt:




I chose different fabrics so my flowers would all be different colors ...


Here they are laid out before I sewed them together ...


And here they are together ... tomorrow I'll make the stems and leaves that will then be appliqued on.


This will be my "Garden" quilt ... I've been collecting block patterns that look like flowers to use in the rest of the quilt.  If anyone has any good examples of flower blocks, please share!

Now out to clean the barn and walk the dogs ... it's supposed to get warm again at the beginning of the week and actually rain.  So my snow cover will be gone again, and we'll be back to mud.  Have a nice week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment