Saturday, February 23, 2013

Winter happenings ...

Someone that viewed my blog asked me where my picture was ... I hadn't even thought about adding my picture previously, but thought it was a good idea, so I just did.

This winter continues to be strange ... cold, snowy & windy followed by warm days where everything melts.  It's nearing the end of February, and March can be much the same ... but after March comes Spring! 

Then I will put away my winter project; my quilt ... and go back outside to the gardens.

I took this picture a couple of weekends ago, a beautiful sunny day ... the donkeys were out of the barn enjoying the sun.

 
And the dogs too ... sitting in the sun while I do my weekly chore of bringing in firewood.


The "backyard" and the snow was just beautiful:


Though two minutes later the winds picked up and the snow swirled:


I've really been getting into my new quilt ... I wait until I get all my errands and chores done before I work on it, so I can take time to do what I want.

This is my first attempt at applique ... the stems to my flowers and leaves:





Not too bad ... a friend that is an amazing quilter gave me a couple tips to make the stems easier to work with.  Now I needed to "square" off this centerpiece to my quilt.  I looked through my stash of fabric, I really need to gather more, and found this wonderful Vera Bradley fabric ... it's really more vibrant in person!


Oh my ... that's all I could say as I was putting it together ....


How perfect is this amazing fabric?  I just love it!  My next thing to do is to put a border around this very large square.  Of course, this is my "typical" color scheme and I need to pull in some yellows, oranges and reds, since the rest of the quilt will be pieced squares of different flowers in all different colors.


I'm thinking that the first border will have to be black so it doesn't get too overwhelming, and then I can build out my other colors from there.  But I need to look at options, so tomorrow a friend is coming out to visit and we're going into East Aurora for brunch and then to look at fabric ... we'll see what I come home with!

No comments:

Post a Comment