Sunday, November 4, 2012

Visitors to the Farm ...

I get many human visitors to the farm ... and many other types of visitors.  Today I thought I would share some pictures I've taken of visitor on the non-human (mostly) variety ...

Most of these seem to be of birds, I feed the birds starting in the fall and I stop again in late spring ... today I'm not very happy with my flock of blue jays, they have totally emptied my feeder in less than 24 hours.  Mostly they push the seed out looking for what they want to eat!  But they are gorgeous!


I seem to take lots of pictures out my kitchen windows ... here's woodpecker working on the hanging suet ...


I love the contrast of the bright red cardinal in this picture ... they don't seem to come to the feeders, but eat seeds that fall on the deck and ground.


We often see pheasants ... not because they are successfully living here, unfortunately ... one of the neighbors buys them and releases them.  I'm wondering if he thinks they will re-establish themselves?

A gorgeous male:


Two pair on my deck ....

These next 2 pictures are human type visitors ...


They didn't actually land in my yard, in this picture they landed in the neighbors cow pasture .. the first time I heard a balloon, I didn't know what I was hearing ... then it came over the trees and I realized I was hearing the whoosh of the fire heating up the gas that makes them rise.  The dog, donkeys and I all stopped and stared, as they barely made it over the tree tops.


Here they look like they will land in the trees, but they did make it over them.  I have discovered that this is a balloon company that operates out of East Aurora, NY, the small town 10 minutes from my house. 

Here's a bird many dislike ...


Especially those with ornamental fish ponds in Buffalo and the surrounding suburbs.  The herons have learned that there are easy pickings in those backyard ponds.  I don't care that they are fishing in my pond ... I have enough fish to share with them.

Here are a couple pictures from the summer bird feeders.  I didn't realize I had Baltimore Orioles until one flew over my head one spring ... so I bought a feeder and they come regularly.  Their coloring is just amazing!


And  the smallest of the visitors .... the hummingbird!  I love these birds and the noise they make as they are defending "their" feeder against other hummingbirds.  They chitter at each other ...


These last 2 pictures were taken by my neighbors, Sally & Bob ... my other neighbor Thelma called breathless ... and said there's a bear, see to your donkeys, I have to call Sally, Bob's working outside.  I looked out the back and didn't see anything, but went out to the barn to see what the donkeys were doing ... and they were freaking out!  They obviously knew the bear was around, they were running in and out of the barn, back and forth ... I finally got them into their stalls and the doors closed and they settled down.


Bob took this picture from their porch .... my neighbors on both sides of me are back quite a bit from the road, close to the creek that flows through all of our properties.  I'm close to the road so I didn't see the bear since he probably was following the creek.


We've all heard of bears visiting the area, but this was the first time Sally & Bob had seen one ... as they watched it walk around their house!  Bob sent me these pictures so I could see for myself.

I wish I had my camera with me 2 weeks ago when the dogs and I walked around the pond, there was a gorgeous fox in my back field ... he stopped and looked at us and took off quickly when he saw the dogs.  He was beautiful ... gorgeous red/orange coat and big fluffy tail.

Hope you've enjoyed seeing some of the visitors to my farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment