Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fall at the Farm ...

Fall is quickly slipping away ... most of the trees have shed their leaves and the word "snow" has been mentioned in the upcoming forecast.  Mind you, I like the cooler weather and the snow ... time just seems to go by so fast!

The gardens have now all been cut back, I trim all the daylilies back so I can do an annual inventory and see what I have available to sell the next year.  It's not necessary to cut them back in the Fall, some prefer to do their garden cleanup in the Spring.


The hoop house owned by the Buffalo Area Daylily Society and WNY Host Society is all closed up for the winter.


The hardy mums in the front garden bed are in full bloom and taking over the end of the bed .. I found the name of these, but forgot where I put it ... they are not your typical mums you see sold at all the grocery stores.  But, they've gotten out of hand!  Will need to divide and find new homes for at least half this clump next year.

 

The maple I put in near the hoop house many years ago is doing great ... it's a Celebration Maple and it doesn't have any of those helicopter seeds.  I have been trying to add more shade to the donkeys pastures, but I put this on the outside of their fence so they couldn't eat it  ... donkeys and horses are brutal on trees.

 
Here's lovely Lily sitting in the colorful leaves ........ and her buddy Rocky.

 

Here's one of my Dawn Redwood's changing color before it drops it's needles.  I have two of these around the pond and just love them.

 
Another tree that turns color and loses it's needles is the Larch, here's my larger one in the back pasture.  I also have 2 more I planted around the farm that are much smaller.


The back gardens are cleaned up too, except for the hardy mum that's back here ... interesting that both my hardy mum's are pink ... and this one is also too big and needs dividing.  Though I do give away clumps of this one every year ... it just really likes this spot!

 
 
If you can't already tell, I've been adding trees all over the farm.  I have added many to the old horse pasture in the back, many unsuccessfully.  I've tried a ginko twice, oak twice ... the oak's never broke dormancy so never even started.  This is a picture of an ornamental pear that is very happy in the back ... I love this tree, the shape is great, it flowers in the spring and has great fall color.  It's not a Bradford pear, it's a Cleveland Select.


And the last one for today, not an exciting fall color, but the story is cool ... this is a twisty willow.  I started this from a branch off the main tree that sits on the edge of my pond.  That tree was started by my Mom from a stick that was in an arrangement that was given to her at my Dad's memorial service.  I have started 3 other's from this one tree ... growing things that will always make me think of my Dad.


Be safe everyone ... hope the upcoming "Frankenstorm" doesn't cause too many problems wherever you are!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Pam: I loved reading about your memory willow tree(s). Gardens full of memories are the very best. Your trees are beautiful and I can only imagine in person that they are just spectacular.

    Seeing your daylilies cut back, looking so neat and tidy, ready for winter...makes me think I should do that, too. One day!

    Here in VA, we just have wind and rain so far. I am hopeful that's all this storm will bring us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I keep adding more every year. It's great having the daylilies all cut back, easy inventory and then no spring cleanup ... then I can get on to other projects ... you know, that endless list! Stay dry!

      Delete
  2. Hi Pam,
    Your gardens do look great all cleaned up. I leave everything here in the fall to try and protect the plants over the winter but it all looks like a mess. Not much is even frosted down yet. Still standing up and full of wet leaves!

    Keep trying the oaks. We have a beauty here that is one my husband and his sibling planted when they were kids. It is the only one the bunnies didn't chew off. It started having acorns a few years ago and we started a bunch in pots. We also have some whips we bought potted up.

    We try to start trees from seedlings and then grow them on. We don't have as much room to put them out as you but plant some every spring in the fence rows. They get eaten and tramped on by dears but some survive. It all helps but I do get tired of the pots of trees to water!

    We put maples around our pasture fields many years ago and had to fence them off so the horses and heifers wouldn't eat them. Finally 2 years ago we took down the inside fence and built a new fence around the outside of the fields. They still chew on the new growth on the bottom but the trees are big enough now they will grow through the damage. I am sure they appreciate the shade!

    Your willow is wonderful. I am sure it sparks fond memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb ... I was thinking I should find an oak that was already growing instead of trying the bare root oak trees that haven't broken dormancy yet. I'll see what I can find and what the prices are ... the bare root trees are much more economical, unless they don't grow! LOL!

      Delete